Sunday, September 27, 2015

Fight For Your Right To Party...Responsibly

Yesterday I posted a funny comment that my son said about my IV site.  I got some shit for it. 

Let me start off by saying, that I agree that children knowing anything about drug abuse is horrifying.  However, the world that we live in today, makes it absolutely necessary.  Especially when, statistically speaking, at least 1/3 of drug and alcohol experimentation starts before high school. 

One third.

And that is just drugs.  I won't get started on sex and alcohol.  Those were my choices.

Wake up.  Do you want your child to be fully educated, or do you want your head to be in the sand while your kid ends up being one of those "If I had only known" scenarios?  As a kid who myself teetered between the two, I'm pushing for education.  I'll be clear, I've never done drugs, but I've been around enough drug abuse to never want to.  I was extremely naive.  Frankly, today as a 34 year old adult, there are many scenarios that I don't know how I made it out alive.  If I was one of those that gave into peer pressure, I would be just another statistic as well, and I know exactly what path I would have taken and where I would be right now. 

It is detrimental to the outcome of your kid's childhood that you make them fully aware of the consequences. 

Adults who provide kids with alcohol are not cool.  Adults who help throw parties and hang out with teenagers are even uncooler.  They failed at their own childhoods and never grew up.  Some do it because they are predators.  I know this first hand.  My mind is destroyed by some of the things that have happened to me.  You're damn right that I am going to do everything I can to prevent that from happening to my children. 

It is up to you to make it clear to them that they should fight for their childhood, and that if they won't then you will.  Education goes a long way in assisting with that.  Also being the kind of parent who is a parent that your kid can talk to rather than just being sent off to play while you do the adult things.  Something I like to refer to as "over parenting".  Acting like the bad things don't exist and sheltering your child from everything so that when the bad things come around they have no idea how to contain themselves around all the new exciting things that "everyone else" is doing.  I was that kid.  Don't be that parent.  You cannot get away with sitting back and hoping.  Education through school and parenting is a hell of a lot safer than experimenting and learning the hard way. 

My only goal as a mother is to raise a child that doesn't have to recover from their childhood. 

No comments: