Monday, September 7, 2015

Fat Shaming Is Not Cool, Kewl or Kool

As someone who has spent much of my life being overweight due to a magical combination of knee problems, depression, undiagnosed until recently medical problems and ice cream (I mean, have you tried it before?);  I suppose I should be angry about some scrawny "comedian" going off on a tangent about how obese people are all ruining her life.


I watched it.   I kind of giggle snorted.   If it was truly how she feels, and not some comedic rant, then I pray for her and I'm not religious in any way.

How uncomfortable do you have to be with yourself to worry about another person's appearance?  And then on top of it have the gall to outwardly judge them.  Does it make you feel better to be horrible?  I don't get it.

As a kid, I was skinny.  I dressed appropriately.  Sure, I liked boys, but I never did anything inappropriate with them until I was old enough to know what I was doing.  I rarely had a boyfriend and in high school I didn't have one at all.  What little time I had available not being grounded for the reason of the day was spent clinging to what few friendships that I had left.  In school at an alarmingly young age, I was labeled a slut because I took care of myself and had bigger boobs than all the other girls.  I stopped loving myself and got very good at hiding who I really was because it was made clear as often as possible that who I was didn't matter because I was never going to be what they wanted me to be.  At home, my siblings were allowed to call me fat and ugly.  It was OK because my mother did it too.  It wasn't all bad, but that isn't what this is about.  When I was a freshman in high school, I was a size 6.  By the time I was a senior, I was a size 12. 

12. 

That is a size that I would kill to be again. 

As a side note, my relationship with my family is worlds different today than it was when I was a kid, but their memory of my childhood and their current belief systems makes it look like we never grew up in the same house.  Every mention of it makes crossing the border of North Korea look like a breezy day trip.

Frankly, every thing in my life went wrong because I didn't know how to love myself enough to say no.  Single parenthood, duped into eloping, being left pregnant with a toddler, raising both entirely on my own.  I was still so busy raising them that focusing on myself wasn't an option.  I didn't know what else to do and I had no support to show me how to be otherwise.  Surrounded by everyone happy (more than, even) to tell me how I was doing everything wrong but not a single person around willing to show me how to be better.  The past 10 years have been one big roller coaster, but I'm better for it.

Here's the kicker:  Every health issue that I have now is the same trouble that I've spent dealing with since my teens when I was thin.  It is simply not the case that I have these issues because of my weight. 

Therapy is expensive shit, but I owe my life to it.

I have taken the long and curvaceous road down where I am now, but I can actually say that despite my demons I am pretty happy with me.  I like my naked body just as much as I appreciate it clothed and apparently so do the hundreds of people messaging me who have seen my modeling pictures, along with those that I have in my life now. 

HOLY SHIT!   Here's a thought or twelve for the record books: 

Did it ever occur to you that when someone doesn't take care of themselves, just for a second, did stop to think that it may be because they don't know how to? 

If someone is "fat"not just by your standards but medically also, maybe they have a lifestyle in which they were simply not taught how to be any different. 

Maybe they do have medical problems that prevent them from being your same svelte size 4 complete with bitchy attitude. 

Not everyone hates themselves or worries about other people's lives. 

Maybe you should help them.

Maybe you wouldn't be such a bitch if you learned to love yourself in a non-narcissistic, evil queen kind of way.

Body positivity has nothing to do with fat.  It has to do with "WHOLE" acceptance.  Loving who you are on the journey that you're on.

Not in any way does it make someone bad for loving themselves and being comfortable in the skin that they are in and wearing what they want to wear - no matter how inappropriate it is to you.

Every person has fat.  THEY as a person are not fat.  We have hair and fingernails and teeth and feelings, but do we start accusingly calling people those? 
 
I can see it now:  "Jeez have some feelings all up in my business.  How freaking dare you be so emotional!?!"

Not everyone who is overweight is a diabetic, has high blood pressure or any other stereotypical "fat person" disease health care professionals are pandemically swearing that everyone that is overweight has like it's the worst thing on the planet that could happen to a person. 

I for one, think that they should be more worried about the bitches who are giving themselves heart attacks over something that has nothing at all to do with them.  Stress is a killer y'all.  Even more so when the stress is a stress that isn't yours.

Is your blood sugar low?  Maybe that's why you're such a bitch.  You know that fat people eat all the time and you're jealous.  Can I make you a sandwich? 


No comments:

Post a Comment