Thursday, October 6, 2016

Know Me Better


I see you, but not like I once did.
I know you now and I miss the way you looked at me when I didn't.
I want your love but I guess your likes will have to do.
We have both walked away from everyone in our lives 
Before they could walk away from us.
What's the chance we would be each other's exception?
Praying for someone to save you is an unfair thing to do 
If you're the one starting all the fires.
I found a lonely corner of the world to lay my solidarity
And found you fighting to do the same.
Although it took forever to find you,
It only took one skip of my heartbeat to know I was home.

I knew all the time that you were near and I didn't have to see you to know it.
I could feel you.
The atmosphere feels different when we are near.
I'd love nothing more than to be your Saturday night,
But I long to be your lazy Sunday morning.
I won't make myself a place in your life;
Only you have the ability to do that.
I know that all I can do is offer you a place in mine.
But stop dickering around like a car salesman of asses.
I won't hold vacancy for you too much longer.
And then you grin because you know me better than that.  

I have to warn you before we start that you should run.
I could never lose interest in your touch.
Forget you ever met me and don't look back.
For if I let you in, and you destroy me
I will break you and I won't regret it.
If you wanted to be here you would be.
I didn't fall for you, your smile tripped me.
It still feels grotesquely unkind of the universe to do this 
Since you clearly have no intentions of loving me.
Making me crave the untamed hope that is being in love with you.

One of my biggest flaws is my ability to see Red Flags in people from a distance,
Yet I continue to travel towards them and develop a closeness,
Because I have to make sure the color was real.
Second chances have never been a problem for me.
I tend to give eight or ten before I realize I'm a fucking idiot.
I never want to be kept guessing.
With every second that passes 
And every breath that escapes your beautiful mouth  
I want to make sure that you know that 
You're the one my soul has craved in the darkest hours of the night.
My heart is not something that you want to be up for grabs.
Once you're booted out of it there's no coming back.
My memory loves you.....
It must.  It asks about you all the time.

And then you grin, 

because you know me better than that.


2 comments: