Sunday, August 9, 2015

Clocks

The thing with broken clocks

Is that you can always tell

When they stopped ticking.

 

With people it isn't so easy

And sometimes

You can't even tell

They're broken.

 

I'm going to say Author Unknown, because the internet is wonderful for memes of the same quote with ten different author credits.

A male friend once told me that talking to me about relationships was as entertaining as throwing a cat in a pool. 

This conversation also took place mid 20's therapy after my therapist tried to get me to understand why I keep everyone at arms length. 

Relationships are hard.  They become harder after what feels like that hundredth date ended in "You're wonderful, but I don't want kids". 

Understanding the rage I get filled with when I am told how strong people think I am for being a single parent and "doing it entirely on my own".  Then if I tell them my story they look at me and say, "But you seem so normal, I never would have thought..."  Preconceived notions and all that jazz.  They have no idea.

I do and say kind things because I think everyone deserves it sometimes.  I have seen a lot of dark and sometimes it's just nice to get a compliment from a stranger who didn't have to give me one.  Sometimes it feels like I'm driven to do it by a need for approval.  Like, "If I get this one thing juuust right then...."

It's taken a lot for me to realize that I am not destroyed.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment