Sunday, April 17, 2016

Intrepid

I've never been more sure 
That it was the moment the whole world was waiting for
The moment my heart jumped out of my chest at the sight of you
With a simple "Hello there"
You're everything my father warned me about 
And my grandmother told me to find
And my inner cynic was sure never existed

I'm falling for the idea of loving you 
And I am just the kind of fool who doesn't need it to be April first to admit it
I've lived my life convincing myself that love is nothing more than a mirage
You see
I was born with an insatiable desire for affection
And a heart with a radar that finds it where it can never thrive
Like a line in a song written in a language I don't speak
I've always enjoyed the rhythm even though I can't understand it
I can already tell I'm going to love you for the rest of my life
With or without you in it

My heart has arrived to you without instruction
I hate you for discovering me so carelessly
Blindly you swung your jar around hunting fireflies 
And unintentionally caught my lightening
A violent storm that seeks to jump start your heart 
Into believing that what you sought all along resides in it's bolts
Without caring what you have
You place your lid over me.
Dancing to the rhythm of my silent explosions
Shaking me up and making me shine 
When I just want to hide behind the clouds

There is no brilliance without a touch of chaos
I won't go seeking the Universe if you would just take the lid off
Instead of anger that I've been caged
I can't help but be in awe 
That I'm to be the one you chose to lose track of time with
I'm more than a handful
Just reassurance that it's why we were born with two hands
I'm not asking for trust
I'm asking for a chance

I want to be the one you miss after saying goodbye
And the one you countdown to seeing again
At times I sleep with the hope of running into you
There is a place between goodnight and good morning 
Where I always hope we meet

You have been accustomed to 
Never telling anyone how deeply you feel about them
Because attachment has always led to leaving
Relationships are about investment
Not hobby
We have been broken by those who sought 
To make their flame brighter by blowing out ours
Because we loved them in a way that they didn't understand
Was never about them

Tonight I hang onto the notion that your soul is just like mine
If you were anyone else you would have been in the fuck-it bucket by now
Maybe I hang on so tightly 
Because I worry of letting go of a once in a lifetime kind of connection
But I won't chase what doesn't want to be caught
Someone who stands there effortless with their jar 
Hoping that I'll crash land and stay awhile

No comments:

Post a Comment