Friday, September 16, 2016

Sympathy For The Stars

I was told once that sometimes the most spiritual, 
Soul-cleansing thing you can do is to tell someone to fuck off.
Being the anti-asshole that I was, 
Until now I didn't believe that to be true.
I let the pain linger just a little while longer 
Knowing that you aren't going to stay.
Even though I knew that throwing myself on a grenade 
Would probably have hurt less, 
I stopped by and said hello anyway.
Letting the guilty little pleasure of your grin 
Bring me up to a high 
I know that I'll never experience again.
When I put my foot down  and refuse to buy into the lies,
Cry to the stars, 
Maybe they'll hear.
Give my new love a cruel nickname while swearing
That it doesn't bother you.
Disturbed by how they don't bow down 
And dim at the sound of your anguish?
Clearly you've taken them for granted again.
That is, after all, what you do best.
When the rest of the world has forgotten you 
Don't come crying to me.
I'd console the stars for having to listen to you,
Before I would you.
After all, they were there for me when I was crying over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment