Thursday, September 1, 2016

Strange Creature

                         I was so drawn to you.  
You, the devil showed yourself to me dressed as everything I have ever wanted.  
            But here's the thing;  
You can't weave a beautiful web of lies in which to throw lassos from to entangle 
and rip out the heart of someone as if they're a mere fly, 
             and then mean it when you kiss them and say, "I never meant to hurt you".  
Don't tell me this hurts you too;  
                           you can't blame me for the mess you made with my blood.

Your outright dismissal of my self worth assisted in my awakening.  
                 In all my life so far, I've never learned to let anything die gracefully.  
But this was never alive to begin with, right?  
                       Not according to you anyway.  
But for me?  
           I'm still blinded by the kaleidoscopes and dizzied by the rainbows 
I was too busy riding on to see the reality of what this was going to do to my universe.  
                 But you were new and shiny, and I didn't care about my own destruction 
and threw my body into the fire for you.                     
                   You're going to do what you do best, which isn't staying;  
     but you do it because you know I'll always be doing what I do best, which is waiting.  
                                             Only I won't be.  Not today Satan.

I don't see the world like most.  
                I fall in love with the paint, not the painting.  
With the people not the places.   
                       With the flowers not the garden.  
The same way that I fell in love with your soul, not your body;  
                          with your smile, not your face.  
The same way that I could get lost for a million years in your embrace 
                                            and not see the blood on your hands.  
To me, it is the things that make something that make it worth it.

Such a strange creature, you are.  
                        You scream what you want into the Universe, 
and then slam the door in its face when it gets sent your way.  
                       You loved the way I touched you, 
but decided to leave me wanting yours and disappeared.  
                        You made me promise that I was going to get to know you 
and said that you would never leave.  
               Now the only presence I have of you is faint memory of conversation 
and the strong scent of red wine kisses. 
                                    It's hard to walk away from thoughts of the time we had together.  
Every now and then I hope I'll still find you 
                   at the end of the trail of footsteps that you've left upon my heart.

You're such a strange creature, but so am I, and maybe that is why I will always wait.

No comments: