Sunday, February 28, 2016

Darkness

It's always been there.
   Tiny,
Yet dark and foreboding.
I knew it wasn't a safe place.
There are no warm and fuzzy feelings to be had in there.
Everything was growing beautifully around it.
There was always this undercurrent of sadness that, if I'm honest about it, I never really minded.
Allowing so much happiness to be cultivated.
So inviting and beautiful.
There was always something lurking in the shadows
               of the hole in the floor.
No matter how happy I was
        or tried to be
No matter how much I danced
        it was always there;
Something to avoid
Sure enough
        One day
It was all too much to bear.
I wanted to know what was in there
Too bold for my own good
One footstep away from it and the air was sucked out of the room
       Warning,  "Don't touch me!"
I didn't care anymore
            Who needs using their better judgement when they can have a comfortable lie?
This darkness isn't all it's chalked up to be
         Comfortable here for way too long
             Trying to claw my way out
Happiness is always a lie
What happens now that I've had both
            and find myself skipping between both worlds?


No comments: